Thursday, December 2, 2010

Crispy Sole


Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I sure did! I had way to much pie and enjoyed spending time with family for the first time in many years. As many of you know my husband and I recently moved from sunny southern California to the Windy City. Though it has only been two months, I can honestly say we have fallen in LOVE with the Windy City but of course there are many things we miss from our year in California. So tonight I thought we would remiss and give you my take on one of the best meals I had while in California.

Enterprise Fish Company was one of our frequent restaurants while in Los Angeles, the food was excellent, the drinks were affordable and we always left happy and full. This recipe uses sole one of my favorite types of fish. Sole is very versatile, affordable, mild white fish that is easy to prepare and quick to cook. I usually use panko (Japanese) bread crumbs as I feel it gives the fish a little more texture and much more crunch (without frying) but today all I had was regular bread crumbs in the pantry, so as usual I adapted. 


Crispy Sole
6 to 8 Sole Fillets
3/4 cup of Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup of flour
1 egg
Lemon zest of 1 lemon
2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper



                                       

Lay sole fillets on your cutting board, season on both side with salt and pepper. Lightly flour each side, just sprinkling the flour on top of the fillet. Beat one egg and tbsp of water in a medium bowl. In a deep bowl or large plate, mix remaining flour, bread crumbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Dip the lightly floured fillet in the egg, then in the bread crumb mixture. Then place on cookie sheet or cutting board. Once all fillets have been coated place in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes. In a large non-stick pan add olive oil, once the pan is hot place fillets in pan. Brown on both sides, should take about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, only flipping once.

Have with your favorite side dish and or vegetable! 
Tonight I laid the crispy sole on a bed of wild arugula next to garlic broccoli and risotto (per my husband’s request)





1 comment: