Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Cravings

First, I must apologize that it has taken so long to get back into posting recipes. As some of you know I am pregnant with my first child and that first trimester was a little harder than I expected. Due to that, there was very little cooking going on here in the Robertson household.

Now that I am feeling better and enjoying cooking again, I'm back in full force with a great two part-er for you. I am enjoying these chilly, fall days as it has been a very long time since we truly experienced a fall. Not, that I am looking forward to winter because believe me I am not but living on the West Coast you do miss the change in the air and the sights and smells of Fall.

Pumpkin Bread 
I used my bread machine for this lovely bread but you could bake it in the oven if you do not have one. My husband really liked this bread, it will be a repeater at our house.
Ingredients:
2 cups flour (I used 1c bread and 1c whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup white sugar (or sugar substitute)
3 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
2 eggs
1 16 oz can of pumpkin pie filling
Pinch of Salt
Dash of Cinnamon (optional) 

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine. Select the Dough setting, and press start. Let mix for 3 to 5 minutes until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. With a rubber spatula push the dough from the side off the bread pan, when needed. After combined stop machine and smooth out the top of the loaf. Then select the baking setting and press start. The bake cycle time varies with machine but it should cook for about 50 minutes. To check bread, inset a toothpick into the center, it should come out clean. If need be back 10 to 15 minutes more until the toothpick comes out clean. Remove bread pan from the machine and let cool, then remove bread from the bread pan. This is a great healthy snack or a perfect breakfast on the go.

Now for part two, since I had made the Pumpkin Bread on a Saturday and Sunday woke up a major craving of French Toast, I thought what is better than French Toast. Well, Pumpkin French Toast.

Ingredients:
1 loaf of pumpkin bread (sliced thickly)
4 eggs 
2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of clove or nutmeg depending on taste
1 cup of Milk - I used soy vanilla milk to add a little sweetness 
dash of salt 
1 tsp of sugar (optional, not necessary if you use the vanilla milk) 
butter 
maple syrup

Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl and  beat lightly with a fork. Stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon and milk.
Over medium-low heat lightly coat pan or griddle with a thin layer of butter. While the pan is getting hot, place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side. The more they soak up the better they taste. Transfer bread slices to hot griddle or pan, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side. Serve French toast hot with hot syrup and berries.I like to put my syrup on the stove top, so it's nice and warm when breakfast is ready. This was so good, I toasted some sliced almonds and heated up some frozen berries and then drizzled them over the top. Since I made the bread the night before, it really is a simple recipe full of flavor.

Hope you enjoy!
Stay warm and enjoy the chilly weather.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete